Aug. 5th, 2011 12:21 am
nohanii: (Default)
[personal profile] nohanii
So last you guys really heard, I was studying for the MCAT to apply to med school.

Yeah, about that.

Studying lasted for a few solid weeks, maybe a month or so. Then in November, the parents dragged me off on some half-cocked trip to Washington to see their ~*new property*~ which I'd <i>already seen</i> and they wouldn't take no for an answer and and AND. I tried <b>so hard</b> to study during the 12 hour drive there, the 2 1/2 day stay, and the 12 hour drive back, all to no avail. I got maybe 3 pages of notes done the entire time. Try as I might, I couldn't get any studying done after I got home.

Med school hard started out rather iffy, and it dropped from there.

Flash forward to Christmas time. I asked everyone around me a simple question: In your opinion, would I be happier as a doctor or a veterinarian. The unanimous, vehement answer was veterinarian. I thought about it, and it seemed to make sense. I'd thought about it often in the last few years, even planned on it a time or three. 

I started reworking my resume and cover letter <i>again</i> and applied to nearly all the local veterinary clinics. I got an interview with one, but it went no where. Most just weren't hiring, weren't even looking. But one caught my eye. I went there several times to pick up various forms and drop off my resume. Every time I went in, I was greeted with big smiles and cheerful hellos. It seemed like everyone I saw was really happy and friendly, chipper even. On top of that, they saw <i>everything</i>: the usual dogs and cats, but also birds, reptiles, and exotic mammals. A dream come true. Only problem was, it didn't seem like they were hiring. So I offered myself up on a silver platter. I would intern For Free. That brought an immediate response. The doctor even came out to meet me. She seemed nice, I explained my situation and my experiences, and we parted ways.

Then I didn't hear from them. I called after a few days, and was told the doctor was busy. They would call me later. A week later, I called again. Still nothing. Another week passed, and right as I was giving up hope, I got a call. They wanted me. Could I start interning next week?

I started interning at WildWood in early February. Everyone was really very nice and eager to show me things and let me sit in on exams. I learned a lot.

When one of the kennel assistants announced towards the end of March that she would be moving soon, Christina (one of the vet techs) told me I should go for her spot. It was a Wednesday, and I ended up not having time to talk to Dr Welsh. I came back in on Friday and got a Death Glare from Christina.

Christina: "You didn't talk to Dr Welsh! Why not?!"
Me: "Sorry! I didn't have time, she was busy!"
Christina: "That's okay, we all talked to her for you! =) "

Apparently, the techs announced that they already knew and loved and trusted Catherine (me), so she would be a suitable replacement for Carmen. I was flabbergasted. I did not expect that, not in a million years. I spoke to DrW briefly personally, and basically just said that I would appreciated being considered for the position. Two weeks later, she asked when I could start working.

So I've now been at WildWood for 6 months -- 2 months interning and 4 months working. I've seen a lot, learned a lot, done... not quite a lot, but a good deal. I've loved my time here. The staff is genuinely nice, and hilarious to boot. Everyone smiles constantly. We pull faces, we joke, we tease -- even DrW. And we bake for each other. This is honestly the best work environment I have ever been in. Even though the work might not be ideal (kennel assistant, beh), I still love going to work for the people I will be with and the things I might

But I've seen downsides as well. Working in the veterinary field does not pay exceptionally well. They work long hours. Techs are routinely there from 8 or 9 am until 6, 7, 8 pm. DrW gets in a 9 am and is routinely in the office until well after 9 pm. It's not uncommon for her to stay as late as 11 or 12. People usually get time off when they request it, but that tends to only be one or two days around their weekend. Neither the doctor nor the 3 current techs have families. One of the techs does, but she's been gone since before giving birth to her daughter in March. They put so much of their time and effort into this that I feel like they're just techs, or just  vet -- like they have no identity outside of work. Maybe that's just my mistaken perception of the situation, but that's what it looks like to me.

I don't want that for me.
Anonymous( )Anonymous This account has disabled anonymous posting.
OpenID( )OpenID You can comment on this post while signed in with an account from many other sites, once you have confirmed your email address. Sign in using OpenID.
Account name:
If you don't have an account you can create one now.
HTML doesn't work in the subject.


Notice: This account is set to log the IP addresses of everyone who comments.
Links will be displayed as unclickable URLs to help prevent spam.


nohanii: (Default)

August 2011

  1234 56
7 89 10111213
141516171819 20
2122 2324252627

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 24th, 2017 08:29 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios